French Toast StrataCuisinart Original Recipe
Give your family a new twist on French toast this weekend. To save time, prepare the night before and bake in the morning."
nonstick cooking spray
4 large eggs
2 cups whole milk
1 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
1⁄3 cup maple syrup
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
¼ teaspoon kosher salt
1 loaf (1 pound) challah bread, cut into ½-inch x 9-inch strips
2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar, divided
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into ½-inch pieces
1. Lightly coat a 9-inch square pan with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Put the eggs, milk, cream, vanilla, syrup, spices and salt into a medium mixing bowl. Whisk until completely combined.
3. Tightly fit half of the challah bread strips into the bottom of the prepared pan. Pour half of the egg mixture on top and evenly dot with half of the brown sugar. Repeat with the remaining bread, laying the strips in the opposite direction of the first layer. Pour the remaining egg mixture on top, dot with the remaining brown sugar. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours, or overnight.
4. Remove the strata from the refrigerator and bring to room temperature. Preheat the Compact Toaster Oven Broiler set to Bake at 350°F with the rack in position A for 5 minutes. Dot the top of the strata with the butter and loosely cover with aluminum foil. Bake for about 15 minutes; remove foil and bake for an additional 10 minutes, or until the internal temperature of the strata reaches 160°F.
5. Remove and serve immediately.
Nutritional information per serving:
Calories 420 (47% from fat) • carb. 44g • pro. 11g • fat 22g • sat. fat 12g • chol. 190mg • sod. 430mg • calc. 177mg • fiber 2g