Green Chile QuicheUser Submitted Recipe
1 ½ cups all purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
5 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
4 tablespoons vegetable shortening (cold)
3 tablespoons ice water
½ pound hot Italian sausage, out of casings and crumbled
½ cup chopped scallions
2 cups green (New Mexico)chiles, well drained and chopped
1 cup cheddar cheese (or half cheddar, half Monterey Jack)
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup light cream
1/4 teaspoon sage
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1. Process flour and salt in Cuisinart processor until well mixed (20 sec.)
2. Cut butter and shortening into small pieces (~1") and add to food processor bowl. Process with short bursts until mixture resembles coarse meal.
3. With motor running, add water 1 Tbsp. at a time until dough clumps together.
4. Remove dough, gather into ball, and flatten into disk. Wrap with plastic wrap.
5. Let rest in refrigerator for at least 1 hour. (Recipe may be doubled, with half frozen for later use.)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Roll out pie crust to fit 9" glass pie plate and crimp edges.
3. Blind bake (prebake) empty crust for 10 minutes.
4. Cook sausage with scallions until sausage is brown. Drain fat.
5. Add well drained chiles and cheese to sausage mixture.
6. Spoon mixture into shell.
7. Beat eggs with cream, sage, and nutmeg. Pour into shell.
8. Bake 40 to 45 minutes until firm. Let stand 5-7 minutes and serve.
unknown, but food that makes you happy is healthy!