Challah French ToastCuisinart Original Recipe
Challah bread takes ordinary French toast to the next level.
10 large eggs
1¼ cups whole milk
1¼ cups heavy cream
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
¼ teaspoon sea salt
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
pinch ground nutmeg
1 pound challah loaf, cut into 8 to 10 slices (each slice about 1½ inches thick)
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
2 teaspoons cinnamon sugar
1. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, cream, vanilla, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Put half of the mixture into a 13 x 9-inch baking pan. Add half of the sliced challah bread to the pan and let soak, flipping after a few minutes.
2. While bread is soaking, preheat the Cuisinart® GreenGourmet® Electric 14-inch Skillet to 300°F. Add 1 tablespoon of butter to melt. Once butter has melted, add the soaked challah bread to the Skillet. Sprinkle with ½ teaspoon of the cinnamon sugar. After about 6 to 8 minutes, flip, sprinkle with another ½ teaspoon of the cinnamon sugar and finish cooking for an additional 6 to 8 minutes.
3. While the first batch of French toast is cooking, add the remaining batter to the baking pan and repeat soaking the remaining challah slices.
4. Remove the first batch from the Skillet and keep warm in a 200°F oven. Add the remaining tablespoon of butter and repeat cooking the second batch in the same manner.
5. Serve with warm maple syrup, fresh fruit, or our Easy Bananas Foster (page 17).
Servingsno serving information available
Nutritional information per serving (based on 10 servings): Calories 328 (53% from fat) • carb. 26g • pro. 12g • fat 19g • sat. fat 10g • chol. 278mg • sod. 381mg • calc. 133mg • fiber 1g
This recipe can be prepared using the following Cuisinart® products:
GreenGourmet® Electric 14-inch Skillet