Molasses Whole Wheat Rolls with Raisins and Pecans (for Steam Oven)Cuisinart Original Recipe
1/2 cup whole milk
1/2 cup water
1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons molasses
2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 3/4 cups bread flour
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 cup golden raisins
1/2 cup pecans, chopped
egg wash (1 large egg and 1 tablespoon water, whisked together)
1. In a small saucepan heat the milk, water, butter and molasses over low heat until butter is melted and the mixture reaches 110˚F. Transfer to a large measuring cup and add the yeast. Let stand 5 minutes, or until foamy.
2. Put the flours and salt in the work bowl of a food processor fitted with the dough or metal chopping blade and process for 10 seconds.
3. With the machine running, slowly add the liquid through the feed tube and process until a dough ball forms. Add the raisins and nuts and continue processing 1 minute to knead the dough. Shape the dough into a ball and put in a large bowl. Cover the bowl tightly with plastic wrap and let the dough rise for 1 hour, until doubled in size.
4. Line the baking tray with a piece of parchment. Punch down the dough and divide it into 12 even pieces, about 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 ounces each. Work each dough piece into a small torpedo-shaped roll. Evenly space 6 of the rolls on the tray and put in the oven with the rack in the lower rack position. Set to Steam at 100˚F for 25 minutes to proof. Cover the remaining rolls with a clean kitchen towel or plastic wrap and place in refrigerator.
5. Remove the tray from oven and using kitchen shears, snip 3 slits into the top of each loaf, brush with egg wash and return to the oven. Set to Bread at 375˚F for 25 minutes to bake the rolls.
6. Rolls are done when evenly browned and internal temperature is 200˚F. Remove rolls from oven and cool completely on a wire rack. Repeat process with remaining rolls.
ServingsMakes 12 rolls
Nutritional information per roll:
Calories 213 (23% from fat) • carb. 36g • pro. 6g
• fat 6g • sat. fat 2g • chol. 20mg • sod. 214mg
• calc. 31mg • fiber 3g
This recipe can be prepared using the following Cuisinart® products:
Combo Steam + Convection Oven
Version 3.5 now available for iOS, Android, and Kindle Fire!