Rustic Italian Bread (for Steam Oven)Cuisinart Original Recipe
1 3/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
3/4 teaspoon granulated sugar
1 cup warm water (105–110˚F)
3 cups bread flour
1/3 cup wheat bran
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
egg wash (1 large egg and 1 tablespoon cold water whisked together)
1. In a measuring cup, dissolve the yeast and sugar in the warm water. Let stand 5 minutes, or until mixture is foamy.
2. Put the flour, wheat bran and salt in the work bowl of a food processor fitted with the dough or metal chopping blade and process for 10 seconds. Add the oil. With the machine running, slowly add the liquid through the feed tube and process until a dough ball forms . Continue processing 1 minute to knead the dough. Shape the dough into a ball and put in a large bowl that has been lightly floured. Cover the bowl tightly with plastic wrap and let the dough rise for 1 hour, until doubled in size.
3. Punch down the dough, reshape into a ball and cover the bowl again with a clean piece of plastic wrap. Let rise 1 hour.
4. Line the baking pan with a piece of parchment. Gently punch down the dough and shape into a tight, large round. Put the round on the pan and in the oven with the rack in the lower rack position. Set to Steam at 100˚F for 25 minutes to proof.
5. Remove from oven; with a serrated knife cut an X into the top center of the loaf, brush with the egg wash and return to the oven. Set to Bread at 400˚F for 30-35 minutes to bake.
6. Bread should be nicely browned and have an internal temperature between 200˚F and 207˚F. Remove bread from the oven and cool completely on a wire rack before slicing.
ServingsMakes 1 round loaf (about 16 servings)
Nutritional information per serving:
Calories 127 (15% from fat) • carb. 23g • pro. 4g
• fat 2g • sat. fat 0g • chol. 16mg • sod. 292mg
• calc. 3mg • fiber 1g
Version 3.5 now available for iOS, Android, and Kindle Fire!