Potato BreadCuisinart Original Recipe
Getting flavor from both the juice and pulp of the potato, this is a great everyday sandwich bread."
2 large russet potatoes, about 1 lb, peeled
2¼ teaspoons active dry yeast
2 teaspoons granulated sugar
3 cups bread flour
2 teaspoons sea salt
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, room temperature
1½ tablespoons nonfat dry milk
1 large egg
1. Turn the Cuisinart® Compact Juice Extractor on and juice the potatoes. Stir the juice and reserve ½ cup plus 1 tablespoon. Reserve all of the pulp (about 2 cups), being sure to discard any large pieces of potato.
2. Put the potato juice, yeast and sugar into the bowl of a Cuisinart® Stand Mixer fitted with the dough hook. Stir well to dissolve yeast and let stand for 5 to 10 minutes. Mixture will foam and bubble – this means the yeast is alive and active.
3. Put the flour, salt, butter, and dry milk in a separate bowl and stir. Add half to the yeast mixture and mix on speed 3 until fully combined, being sure to scrape the bottom of the bowl with a spatula. Add the egg and reserved pulp; mix to combine.
4. Continuing on speed 3, add the remaining flour mixture, ½ cup at a time, mixing completely, about 30 to 40 seconds, until no flour is visible after each addition. The dough at first will be a batter, and slowly, as the flour is added, (you may not need all of the flour), the batter will become a complete ball of dough that cleans the sides of the mixing bowl.
5. After the flour mixture has been incorporated mix on speed 3 for 3 to 4 minutes to knead the dough.
6. Dust dough ball lightly with flour and place in a sealable food storage bag; press out air and seal. Let rise in a warm, draft-free place until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
7. Punch dough down and shape into a loaf. Place loaf in a lightly greased 8 or 9-inch loaf pan and cover loosely with plastic wrap. Let rise 30 to 40 minutes, or until doubled in size.
8. While dough is rising, preheat oven to 375°F.
9. Bake bread in preheated oven 50 to 60 minutes until browned and hollow-sounding when tapped. Cool on a wire rack. Bread slices best when allowed to cool completely before slicing.
ServingsMakes one 1-pound loaf
Nutritional information per serving (1 ounce):
Calories 152 (8% from fat) • carb. 28g • pro. 8g
• fat 1g • sat. fat 1g • chol. 22mg • sod. 447mg
• calc. 102mg • fiber 1g
Notable nutrients based on daily percentages:
Riboflavin 20% • Thiamin 19%
This recipe can be prepared using the following Cuisinart® products:
Compact Juice Extractor