Broccoli Rabe BreadCuisinart Original Recipe
Sweet ricotta complements the slight bitterness of broccoli rabe in this version.
1 pound pizza dough
2 tablespoons grapeseed or vegetable oil, divided
1 bunch broccoli rabe (no more than 1 pound), trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
2 garlic cloves, peeled
1/2 cup whole milk ricotta
1/4 ounce Pecorino Romano
pinch ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
unbleached, all-purpose flour, for rolling dough
egg wash (1 egg beaten with 1 teaspoon water)
- Preheat oven to 400˚F with rack in the middle of the oven. Lightly coat a baking sheet with 1 tablespoon of the oil and set aside.
- Heat the remaining oil in a 10-inch sauté pan over medium heat until shimmering.
- While the oil is heating, insert the chopping blade into the work bowl of the food processor. With the unit running, drop the garlic through feed tube to chop.
- Add broccoli rabe to the skillet – it will look like a lot but will shrink as it cooks. Season with salt and sauté for about 7 to 8 minutes, or until just tender. Halfway through cooking, stir in the garlic and red pepper flakes. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool slightly.
- While the vegetables are cooking, put the pecorino into the work bowl, still fitted with the chopping blade, and process to finely grate. Put into a medium mixing bowl with the ricotta, nutmeg, remaining salt and pepper. Add to broccoli rabe and stir to completely combine.
- Punch down pizza dough on a lightly floured surface. With the tips of your fingers, gently press out dough into a 14 x 8 inch rectangle, turning and stretching as needed. gently lift dough onto prepared baking sheet and reshape if necessary. If any tears appear, pinch the dough back together.
- Evenly spread the broccoli-cheese mixture all over the dough in a single layer, leaving a 1-inch border around the outside.
- Brush the border of the dough with the egg wash. Starting with the long end farthest from you, roll the dough into a log (like a jelly roll) to the center of the rectangle. Take the long end closest to you and tightly pull it over the dough in the center to cover and complete the roll. Pinch to seal all along the seam. Fold the ends of the dough in on each side and pinch to seal. Roll the dough over so it is seam side down and arrange in the center of the baking sheet. Brush all over with egg wash, and with a paring knife cut 3 venly spaced slits in the top.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through, rotating the pan halfway through cooking. Remove and allow bread to rest 5 minutes before slicing. Serve warm.
Servingsone 14-inch roll
Nutritional information per serving: Calories 204 (54% from fat) | carb. 16g | pro. 8g | fat 13g sat. fat 4g | chol. 36mg | sod. 406mg | calc. 73mg | fiber 2g
This recipe can be prepared using the following Cuisinart® products:
Elemental 8 Food Processor
Custom 14™ Food Processor
Pro Classic™ Food Processor
Prep 9™ 9-Cup Food Processor
Prep 11 Plus™ 11-Cup Food Processor
Pro Custom 11™ Food Processor
Cuisinart Elite Collection™ 12-Cup Food Processor
Elite Collection™ 14-Cup Food Processor
Version 3.5 now available for iOS, Android, and Kindle Fire!