Hushpuppy CornbreadUser Submitted Recipe
Wonderful light cornbread with the taste of hushpuppies."
1 lb (4 sticks) butter or 2 1/2 cups cooking oil (Canola or Vegetable)
14 cups or 7 lbs Hushpuppy Mix with Onion (preferably Sweet Betsy from Atkinson Mills)
4 tbsp salt
4 cups sugar/Splenda or substitute
4 cups Maple Syrup
18 Eggs, slightly beaten
3 qts Milk/Buttermilk
1. Preheat oven to 400F.
2. Put one stick each into about four trays about [20 3/4" x 12 13/16" x 2 3/16] stainless steel or disposable food trays. Cover bottom of tray with approx 1/4 to 1/2 inches of oil. Adjust to size of your trays. Fill trays about 1/4 to 1/2 inches with oil and about ½ to 2/3 full with batter.
3. Meanwhile, combine dry ingredients in a bowl.
4. Mix eggs into milk, then stir this into dry ingredients, combine until slightly thick batter is reached. The consistency of the combined dry and wet ingredients should be like a thick pancake batter
5. Put pans in oven.
6. When butter/oil is melted and hot (5-10 minutes, 365F), remove pan from oven, pour batter into it and smooth top. In a 2-inch deep pan fill about 1/2 full.
7. Return pan to oven. Bake until lightly browned and sides have pulled away from pan, about 25-30 minutes. Internal temp 185F at center of cornbread, a toothpick inserted into center will come out clean. The cornbread should brown slightly top, bottom and sides.
8. Cool pans propped up so bottom cools – about ½ hour or more
9. Each pan should yield approx 32 pieces for approx 128 total pieces
10. Serve with Honey Butter or Unsalted Butter.
no nutrition information available
Recipe Swap Review