Irish American Soda BreadUser Submitted Recipe
1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
2 Tbsp sugar (or 5 Tbsp For tea loaf)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup raisins
2 teaspoons caraway seeds
1 large egg
2/3 to 3/4 cup buttermilk
4 Tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
1. Preheat oven to 350°F
2. Grease an 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 inch loan pan
3. Sift together: flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and
4. Stir in: raisins and caraway seeds
5. Whisk together in another bowl:
egg, and 2/3 cup buttermilk. (Add up to 3/4 cup buttermilk to get the right consistency,) and soft, room temperature butter.
7. Add all liquid ingredients above to dry mixture and stir until the dry ingredients are moistened. The batter will be stiff but sticky. Scrape the batter into the loaf pan and spread evenly.
7. Use a sharp knife to slash a large X about 1/2 inch deep on top of batter.
8. Bake until golden brown, and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
9. Transfer bread to a rack to cool, let cool in pan on rack for 5 to 10 minutes before un-molding to cool completely on the rack.