HONEY WHEAT THREE SEEDED BRAIDUser Submitted Recipe
2 1/2 Cups warm water
1 Tbsp yeast
3/4 honey, adjust to taste
3/4 Cup non-fat dry milk
3/4 Crisco shortening
5/6 Cup bread flour
3 Cups whole-wheat flour
1 1/2 Tbsp salt
1/2 Cup wheat berries, if desired
1 Cup sunflower seeds,
1 Cup sesame seeds
1 Cup poppy seeds
1 egg + 1 tsp water for egg wash
1. Add ingredients in order give. Salt should be last.
2. Add flour slowly or it will fly out of the mixing bowl. After 8 cups of flour, make sure more flour is needed before adding more. Knead for 5-7 minutes until elastic.
3. Place dough in oiled bowl. Turn over so dough is oiled and cover bowl with plastic wrap. Let rise until doubled.
4. Turn oven to 375°. C
5. Cut dough into 6 equal pieces. This recipe will make 2 complete braids.
6. Roll each piece into a ball and then start rolling into a cigar shape by pulling with your hands in opposite direction across the dough. Each should be about 16" long.
7. Egg wash each strand.
8. Cover 1 strand at a time with each variety of seeds. There will be 2 strands of sunflower, 2 of sesame seeds, and 2 of poppy seeds.
9. Braid 1 of each seed strand together, tucking under the ends. Place on Silpat.
1. Let rise until not quite doubled.
2. Bake for 35 minutes, until light golden brown.