Dan’s sweet and spicy cornbreadUser Submitted Recipe
1 1/2 cups self-rising cornmeal
1/2 cup self-rising flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/3 cups milk
1/4 cup oil
1/2 cup corn kernels
2 jalapenos (diced) 1/8 c onions (diced)1 lime (juiced)
2 tbsp honey
2 tbsp butter
One 8" or 9" cast-iron skillet
1. Preheat oven to 450°.
2. Soak corn and onions in the lime juice.
3. Put oil into skillet, being sure to coat entire inner surface of skillet, and then place skillet into warming oven. (This achieves 2 goals: The oil is thinned prior to adding it to the batter, and the skillet is already hot when you add the complete mixture, ensuring a
crisp outer edge.)
4. After 15 minutes strain corn and onion from lime juice.
5. Mix together all dry ingredients. Mix in the milk, eggs, corn, jalapenos, and onions.
6. Making sure the skillet and oil are quite hot, but not smoking (about 5 minutes in the warming oven), steadily pour and stir in the hot oil into the rest of the batter. You want to stir as the oil is being poured, or you may risk burning the batter.
7. Pour the batter into the now hot pan. If you're lucky, it will spatter as it hits the hot iron.
8. Place into oven about 20-24 minutes. The top should be golden-brown and cracking a bit from rising. After taking it out of the oven and is still hot spread the butter and drizzle the honey over the top.
9. Allow the cornbread enough time to soak the honey and butter
no nutrition information available
Version 3.5 now available for iOS, Android, and Kindle Fire!