Turkey Swedish MeatballsCuisinart Original Recipe
1/4 cup milk (whole or reduced fat)
1 slice sandwich bread, torn into 1-inch pieces
1 small celery stalk, finely chopped
1 pound ground turkey
1 small onion, peeled and finely chopped
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
pinch ground nutmeg
1 large egg, lightly beaten
3 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
3 tablespoons unbleached, all-purpose flour
4 cups chicken broth, low sodium
1/3 cup sour cream or creme fraiche
1. Put the milk into a large liquid measuring cup and add the bread. Let soak.
2. While the bread is soaking, combine the celery, turkey, onion, salt, pepper, baking powder, spices and egg in a large mixing bowl. Squeeze the milk out of the bread and add the bread (discarding the milk) to the turkey mixture. With clean or gloved hands, gently mix together until fully combined. Do not over-mix or the meatballs will be tough. Using a small ice cream scoop, form into 1-inch meatballs (about 1 tablespoon of mixture per ball).
3. Put 1/2 tablespoon of the butter into the cooking pot of the Multi Cooker set to Brown/Saute at 375˚F. Once the butter melts and is hot and foamy, add the meatballs in about four batches, turning the meatballs every minute or two until browned or all sides. Remove, reserve and repeat with remaining meatballs. Once all are browned, remove and reserve together.
5. Add the remaining butter to the cooking pot. Once it is melted and foamy, stir in the flour. Stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, cook until the butter/flour mixture is lightly browned. Slowly stir in the broth. Bring to a boil and cook until thickened, about 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 300°F and stir in the sour cream.
6. Put all of the meatballs into the cooking pot with the gravy. Raise heat to 350°F and bring to a boil. Boil for about 10 minutes to coat the meatballs with the thickened gravy
7. Serve immediately or reduce heat to 200°F and keep covered until ready to serve.
ServingsMakes about 60 meatballs (for MSC-400)
Nutritional information per meatball:
Calories 26(57% from fat) • carb. 1g • pro. 2g
• fat 2g • sat. fat 1g • chol. 11mg • sod. 49mg
• calc. 7mg • fiber 0g
Version 3.5 now available for iOS, Android, and Kindle Fire!