SAUSAGE BREAD (STROMBOLI STYLE)Cuisinart Original Recipe
This recipe is great for a hungry crowd and can easily be doubled. We use a combination of sweet and hot sausage in this bread but feel free to use whatever suits your taste."
1 pound pizza dough
2 tablespoons grapeseed or vegetable oil, divided
1 small fennel bulb, fronds removed, quartered and cored
2 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
¼ to ½ teaspoon kosher salt, divided
4 ounces low-moisture mozzarella, divided
½ pound sweet italian sausage, casings removed
¼ pound hot italian sausage, casings removed
2 tablespoons white wine
unbleached, all-purpose flour, for rolling dough
egg wash (1 large egg lightly beaten with 1 teaspoon water)
- Preheat oven to 400˚F with rack in the middle of the oven. Lightly coat a baking sheet with 1 tablespoon of the oil.
- Heat remaining oil in a 10-inch skillet over medium heat.
- While the oil is heating, insert the slicing disc into the work bowl of the food processor and slice the fennel. Add fennel to the hot skillet with the garlic and ¼ teaspoon of the salt. Sauté for about 8 to10 minutes until the fennel is softened and lightly browned. While fennel and garlic are cooking, remove the slicing disc and flip to the shredding side. Shred mozzarella; reserve in bowl.
- Once the fennel has cooked, reserve in a separate bowl. Return pan to the heat and break sausage up into medium-size chunks directly into the pan. Cook until sausage is browned with no pink, about 5 to 7 minutes. Add fennel and stir. Add the wine and scrape any bits on the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon. Cook untilwine has evaporated, about 1 minute, and remove pan from heat. Discard garlic and stir in ½ cup of the mozzarella. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Punch down pizza dough on a lightly floured surface. With the tips of your fingers, gently press out into a 14x8-inch rectangle, turning and stretching as needed. gently lift dough onto prepared baking sheet and reshape if necessary. If any tears appear, pinch the dough back together.
- Evenly spread sausage mixture all over the dough in a single layer, leaving a 1-inch border around the outside. Sprinkle remaining cheese evenly over the sausage mixture.
- Brush the border of the dough with the egg wash. Starting with the long end farthest from you, roll the dough into a log (like a jelly roll) to the center of the rectangle. Take the long end closest to you and tightly pull it over the dough in the center to cover and complete the roll. Pinch to seal all along the seam. Fold the ends of the dough in on each side and pinch to seal. Roll the dough over so it is seam side down and arrange in the center of the baking sheet. Brush all over with egg wash, and with a paring knife cut 3 evenly spaced slits in the top.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through, rotating the pan halfway through cooking. Remove and allow bread to rest 5 minutes before slicing. Serve warm.
Servingsmake one 14-inch roll
Nutritional information per serving (based on 14 servings):
Calories 204 (54% from fat) | carb. 16g | pro. 8g | fat 13g sat. fat 4g | chol. 36mg | sod. 406mg | calc. 73mg | fiber 2g
This recipe can be prepared using the following Cuisinart® products:
Custom 14™ Food Processor
Pro Classic™ Food Processor
Prep 7® 7-Cup Food Processor
Prep 9™ 9-Cup Food Processor
Prep 11 Plus™ 11-Cup Food Processor
Pro Custom 11™ Food Processor
Cuisinart Elite Collection™ 12-Cup Food Processor
Elite Collection™ 14-Cup Food Processor