Turkey Sausage & Sun-Dried Tomato Puff Pastry PinwheelsCuisinart Original Recipe
Do-ahead prep makes these perfect for entertaining."
1/4 cup toasted walnuts
3/4 ounce Asiago cheese, cut in 1/2-inch pieces
4 sun-dried tomato halves, reconstituted in 1/2 cup boiling water until softened, squeezed dry
1 shallot (1 ounce)
1/4 pound Italian turkey sausage, roasted and cooled, cut in 3/4-inch slices *
8 ounces cream cheese, regular or low-fat, not non-fat, cut in cubes
1 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed for 1 hour in the refrigerator
Egg wash: 1 egg + 2 tablespoons water, beaten together
1. Insert the metal blade. Place the walnuts in the work bowl. Pulse to chop, 5 times; remove and reserve.
2. With the machine running, drop the cheese cubes down the small feed tube. Process for 30 seconds until chopped; remove and reserve. Place sausage in work bowl, pulse to chop finely, about 20 to 30 times; remove and reserve. Place the sun-dried tomatoes in the work bowl and pulse 5 times to chop; remove and reserve.
3. With the machine running, drop the shallots down the small feed tube, process for 5 seconds to chop. Scrape the work bowl. Add the cream cheese, basil and ground pepper to the bowl. Use the pulse to blend, about 5 –10 times. Scrape the work bowl. Add the reserved chopped walnuts, Asiago cheese and sun-dried tomatoes. Use the pulse to blend, about 5 times. Remove and reserve. Stir in chopped turkey sausage.
4. On a lightly floured surface, roll out each sheet of puff pastry to 10-x-12 inches. Arrange the pastry on the work surface so that the long side is in front of you. Brush the top inch of the pastry with the egg wash, making a 1-inch edge. Using an offset spatula, spread one-half of the cream cheese mixture evenly on each of the puff pastry sheets. Roll the pastry jellyroll style, evenly so that you roll into the egg-washed edge. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour and up to 8. Cover and refrigerate the egg wash.
5. Preheat oven to 400º F. Slice the puff pastry roll into 24 slices, each ½-inch thick. (The sliced pinwheels may be frozen at this time. Freeze the slices on a plastic wrap lined baking sheet in a single layer. When frozen solid, transfer to a freezer bag. Double wrap the bag to keep out freezer odors. May be frozen up to 3 weeks.) Arrange the puff pastry slices on a baking sheet about 1-inch apart. Lightly brush with the egg wash. Bake for 23 to 28 minutes, until puffed and golden. Serve hot/warm. If desired, they may be baked ahead, bake until light golden, cool, then refrigerate until ready to serve. Reheat in a 300º F oven for about 5 minutes.
*To roast the turkey sausage, prick the sausage several times with a fork, rub lightly with about a ½ teaspoon of olive oil, then roast on a foil lined pan at 350º F for 25 to 30 minutes, turning after 15 minutes.
ServingsMakes 28 pinwheels.
Calories 90 (64% from fat) - carb. 5g - pro. 3g - fat 6g - sat. fat 2g - chol. 15mg - sod. 114mg - calc. 22mg - fiber 0g
Version 3.5 now available for iOS, Android, and Kindle Fire!