Vegetable Wontons with Ginger Dipping SauceCuisinart Original Recipe
There is a lot of chopping involved in this recipe, but a
1 tablespoon vegetable oil, divided
¹∕³ cup finely chopped shallots (about 2 small to medium)
¹∕³ cup finely chopped carrot (about 1 small to medium)
3 tablespoons finely chopped celery (2 stalks)
1 green onion, finely chopped
¹∕³ cup water chestnuts, finely chopped
1½ teaspoons chopped garlic (about 2 cloves)
3 tablespoons finely chopped mushrooms (about 2 large button mushrooms)
3 tablespoons finely chopped red pepper (about ¼ large)
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh ginger (about ½ ounce)
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1½ tablespoons rice vinegar
30 wonton wrappers (approximate amount, may need a few more or less)
1¼ cups water
1. Pour 2 teaspoons of vegetable oil into the Cuisinart® GreenGourmet® Electric 14-inch Skillet set to 350°F. Once the oil is hot and shimmering, add the shallots, carrot, celery, and green onion and sauté for about 3 minutes, until vegetables soften slightly. Add the water chestnuts, garlic, mushrooms, and bell pepper and continue to cook for an additional 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in the ginger, soy sauce, sesame oil, and rice vinegar and cook for about 1 minute. Remove from heat and allow to cool before assembling wontons.
2. Set up your work station in a large space equipped with a small bowl of water and a pastry brush, large plate or cutting board, package of wonton wrappers, and wonton filling. On a clean surface, line up 3 to 6 wonton wrappers at a time. Place ½ tablespoon of filling in the middle of each wrapper. Brush the edges of the wrappers with a small amount of water and fold bottom point up, making a triangle. Either crimp all edges like a pleat or fold up the 2 end points, and pinch to seal, using more water to help if needed. Continue to fill the remaining wontons. Keep the prepared wontons on a clean tray or cutting board and cover with plastic.
3. Preheat the Cuisinart® GreenGourmet® Electric 14-inch Skillet to 300°F and add 1 teaspoon oil; swirl to coat cooking surface of Skillet. Place half the batch of wontons (about 15) in a single layer in the Skillet. Cook for 2 to 4 minutes or until sides are browned. Flip and brown other sides, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove and reserve. Repeat with the remaining wontons.
4. Add reserved wontons to the skillet. Pour water into Skillet; cover. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to 200°F. Cook 12 to 16 minutes, until most of the water has evaporated, and wonton dough is tender.
5. Serve with Ginger Dipping Sauce.
Servingsno serving information available
Nutritional information per wonton: Calories 35 (27% from fat) • carb. 5g • pro. 1g • fat 1g • sat. fat 0g • chol. 1mg • sod. 65mg • calc. 6mg • fiber 0g
This recipe can be prepared using the following Cuisinart® products:
GreenGourmet® Electric 14-inch Skillet