Crab CakesCuisinart Original Recipe
Fresh crab is ideal, but a high-quality canned or frozen version works well too.
16 ounces lump crabmeat
1 1/2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
1 large red bell pepper, cut into small dice
1 jalapeño, seeded and finely chopped
4 green onions (include some of the flavorful green part), chopped (about 1/3 cup)
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 1/2 cups panko (Japanese style breadcrumbs), plus 3/4 cup for dredging
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon Dijon-style mustard
1 1/2 teaspoons Old Bay® seasoning
hot sauce, to taste (optional)
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
lemon wedges, for serving
1. Look through crabmeat to make sure there are no shells or cartilage. Reserve in refrigerator.
2. Preheat the Cuisinart® GreenGourmet® Electric 14-inch Skillet to 325°F. Add the olive oil.
3. Once the oil is hot and shimmering, add the peppers and onions. Let them sweat for about 2 1/2 minutes, or until the vegetables soften slightly. Stir in the garlic and salt; cook for about 5 minutes. Remove vegetables from the Skillet and let them cool to room temperature.
4. Once the vegetables are cool, add them to the reserved crabmeat. To the mixture add the egg, panko, mayonnaise, Worcestershire, Dijon, Old Bay and hot sauce (if using). Very gently mix all of the ingredients together (it is best to do this with clean hands to avoid over-mixing, but you can do it with a spoon if you are careful to keep the crabmeat intact).
5. From the mixture, form 1/4-cup round cakes with your hands and place them on a clean plate, separating the layers with wax paper. Cover with plastic and refrigerate for 1 hour before sautéing.
6. Preheat the Cuisinart® GreenGourmet® Electric 14-inch Skillet to 375°F. Add 1½ tablespoons of the vegetable oil.
7. While the Skillet is preheating, lightly dredge the crab cakes in the remaining panko.
8. When the oil is hot, sauté crab cakes in batches, approximately 4 to 6 minutes per side. Crab cakes should be a deep golden brown on each side.
9. Serve immediately with lemon wedges.
Servingsno serving information available
Nutritional information per crab cake: Calories 152 (42% from fat) • carb. 13g • pro. 9g • fat. 7g • sat. fat 1g • chol. 37mg • sod. 319mg • calc. 51mg • fiber 1g
This recipe can be prepared using the following Cuisinart® products:
GreenGourmet® Electric 14-inch Skillet
Version 3.5 now available for iOS, Android, and Kindle Fire!