Captian Olaf's Magnificent Moules MarinieresUser Submitted Recipe
• 2.2 lb of fresh live Prince Edward's Isle mussels
• 3 cloves of chopped garlic
• 1 finely chopped onion
• 2 oz finely chopped anise
• 1 cup of dry white wine
• 2 oz of butter (half stick)
• 1 handful of finely chopped parsley
• salt and pepper
1. Clean, debeard and rinse the mussels several times in cold running water and set aside.
2. Discard any mussels that are open and don't snap shut when tapped.
3. Melt the butter in a large saucepan. Saute the chopped onion, garlic and anise until golden.
4. Pour the white wine into the saucepan and bring to the boil.
5. When the wine steams, add the mussels and cover the pan with a lid. Cook the mussels on a high heat for about 3 minutes. Shake the pan several times during cooking to redistribute the mussels.
6. The mussels are done when they open up. Check after 3 minutes. If not all open, cook another minute. Discard any mussels that have remained tightly shut.
7. Taste the sauce and season with salt or pepper if necessary.
8. Transfer the mussels to a large bowl and pour the liquid over the mussels.
9. Serve over linguini or eat straight. The sauce makes a delicious broth.