Broccoli Rabe and Sausage BreadCuisinart Original Recipe
Sweet ricotta complements the slight bitterness and spice of the broccoli rabe and sausage."
4 teaspoons grapeseed or vegetable oil, divided 2 fresh sweet Italian sausage links, about 12 ounces, casings removed 1 tablespoon white wine or fresh lemon juice 1 bunch broccoli rabe (no more than 1 pound), trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces 2 garlic cloves, chopped 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes 1/2 cup ricotta 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella 1/4 cup grated Pecorino or Parmesan pinch ground nutmeg 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper 1 pound pizza dough, store-bought or homemade unbleached, all-purpose flour, for rolling dough egg wash (1 large egg and 1 teaspoon water, whisked together)
1. Put 1 teaspoon of oil in a medium to large sauté pan set over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the sausage, breaking up with a heatproof spatula. Cook until no longer pink, about 6 to 8 minutes. Add white wine or lemon juice and scrape up the brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Cook until liquid has evaporated. Remove and reserve sausage in a large mixing bowl.
2. Add the remaining oil and reduce heat to medium. Add broccoli rabe — it will look like a lot but will shrink as it cooks. Sauté for about 7 to 8 minutes, or until just tender, stirring in the garlic, pinch of salt and red pepper flakes halfway through cooking. Remove from the heat and set aside with the sausage to cool slightly.
3. Once the sausage and broccoli rabe are cool to the touch, add the cheeses, nutmeg, pepper and remaining salt; stir to combine completely.
4. Preheat oven on Convection Bake at 350°F with the rack in the lower position. Line the baking pan with parchment paper; reserve.
5. Punch down pizza dough on a lightly floured surface. With the tips of your fingers, gently press out dough into a 14 x 8-inch rectangle, turning and stretching as needed. If any tears appear, pinch the dough back together.
6. Evenly spread the broccoli/sausage/cheese mixture all over the dough in a single layer, leaving a 1-inch border around the outside.
7. Brush the border of the dough with the egg wash. Starting with the long end farthest from you, roll the dough into a log (like a jelly-roll) to the center of the rectangle. Take the long end closest to you and tightly pull it back over the dough in the center to cover and complete the roll. Pinch to seal all along the seam. Fold the ends of the dough in on each side and pinch to seal. Roll the dough over so it is seam side down and place on the prepared baking pan. Brush all over with egg wash and with a paring knife, cut 3 evenly spaced slits in the top.
8. Bake for 40 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through, rotating the pan halfway through cooking. Remove and allow bread to rest 5 minutes before slicing. Serve warm.
ServingsMakes one 14-inch roll
Nutritional information per serving (based on 12 servings):
Calories 172 (38% from fat) • carb. 19g • pro. 8g • fat 7g • sat. fat 3g
• chol. 15mg • sod. 398mg • calc. 111mg • fiber 1g
This recipe can be prepared using the following Cuisinart® products:
Deluxe Convection Toaster Oven Broiler
Version 3.5 now available for iOS, Android, and Kindle Fire!