Recent Posts Subscriptions
- Cauliflower Meal for Baby
- All-Butter Crust Maple Peach Pie
- 10 Minute Mole Chicken Bowls
- Entertaining – Crab Cakes 3 Ways
September 10, 2012 • Posted by Jennifer Perillo
The dog days of summer are behind us but that doesn't mean the season's sweetest fruit is gone too. This is the time of year to let your baby fall in love with apples and pears. Just a few minutes on the stovetop or microwave and you're ready to puree homemade apple or pear sauce in your Cuisinart PowerPrep Plus 14-Cup Food Processor.
Adults may like tart apples like Granny Smith but sweeter varieties, like Gala or Golden Delicious, are a more palatable choice for baby. They have an almost candy-like flavor, sure to please your little one's natural sweet tooth. Leave the skin on, and you'll also be feeding her an extra serving of vitamin C (almost half of the vitamin's content is just under the skin) and fiber (the skin contains a high percentage of this nutrient).
These sauces are also a tasty way to introduce new flavors to older babies who are already used to eating solids. Try stirring a dash of ground cinnamon or nutmeg into one serving. Mix some of the plain apple or pear puree with a fruit, vegetable or other food she doesn't usually like. Chances are she'll like the new flavor combination and you'll feel good knowing she's getting her nutrients the way mother nature intended.
Pure Pear or Apple Sauce
Makes about one cup
1 cup diced apples or pears (approximately one small whole piece of fruit)
¼ cup water
- Place fruit and water in a small pot. Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook until fruit is tender when pierced with a fork, about seven minutes.
- Pour apple mixture into your Cuisinart PowerPrep Plus 14-Cup Food Processor and pulse until smooth. Alternately, you can immerse your Cuisinart Quick-Prep Hand Blender into the pot and blend until smooth. Let cool before serving.
- Place fruit and water in a small microwave-safe bowl. Cook on high for two to three minutes or until fruit is tender when pierced with a fork.
- Pour apple mixture into your Cuisinart PowerPrep Plus 14-Cup Food Processor and pulse until smooth. Alternately, you can immerse your Cuisinart Quick-Prep Hand Blender into the bowl and blend until smooth. Let cool before serving.