Recent Posts Subscriptions
- Lemon Sponge Cake with Raspberry Sauce
- National Potato Lovers Month
- DIY Ricotta Cheese
- Main Course: Lamb
May 9, 2014 • Posted by Brea Buffaloe
It’s always exciting to hear your baby’s first words, see your baby’s first steps and experience your baby’s reaction to trying out new foods for the first time. Celebrating Mother’s Day with your baby can be just as special as celebrating when your baby grows older. Share another “first” moment this year by preparing your baby’s first real dessert, and make it something you both can enjoy together.
When deciding what kind of dessert to prepare, here are some things to consider:
1. If you want to sweeten foods without using sugar, avoid honey for the first year of age. Alternatives include banana, cinnamon and apple sauce.
2. Avoid choking hazards like nuts, popcorn and small candies.
3. Stick to breast milk and formula until baby’s first birthday.
Here’s a great first dessert recipe perfect for a baby approaching 12 months via Baby Center:
200g strawberries (hulled)
1 tsp sugar
2 tbsp whole wheat flour
1 tbsp rolled oats
3 tsp butter
1 tbsp soft brown sugar
1 tbsp fresh cream or plain curd/yoghurt (for topping)
Mix the strawberry with the sugar and place in a small, greased oven dish. Rub the butter into the flour, stir in the oats and brown sugar and sprinkle over the strawberry. Bake for 30 mins at 180 degrees C. Cool a little before serving with plain yogurt/curd or fresh cream.