Recent Posts Subscriptions
February 22, 2013 • Posted by Christina Fong
Oscar night is around the corner and what’s a night dedicated to excellence in film without a big bowl of popcorn? To add a little more flair this year, skip the microwavable bags and opt for a more interesting treat.
If you didn’t know it already, air popped popcorn is much healthier than microwave popcorn as they are popped with hot air and allow you to reduce/exchange the popping oil and flavorings with other healthier options. Of course, all this depends on what you choose to add to your mix.
For an updated Oscar night, try a special recipe that combines a bunch of different flavors you and your family will definitely enjoy while finding out which one of you scored the most accurate Oscar predictions. If it’s your first time making your own flavored popcorn, you will be amazed at how easy and fun customizing them can be!
Popcorn Snack Mix
Makes about 16 cups
Non-stick cooking spray
1 tablespoon vegetable or grapeseed oil
1/2 cup popcorn kernels
4 tablespoons melted, unsalted butter or vegetable/grapeseed oil
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic (you may substitute garlic powder if you cannot locate the granulated variety)
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
Dash hot sauce
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup mini pretzels or pretzel sticks (broken into 1/2-inch pieces)
1 1/2 cups roasted mixed nuts
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil and lightly coat the foil with the cooking spray.
- Evenly distribute the 1 tablespoon of oil on the popping plate of the Popcorn Maker. Add the popcorn kernels. Put the inverted bowl on top of the popping plate. Turn the power switch to ON.
- When the kernels have finished popping, turn power switch to OFF. Put bowl cap on bowl. Unlock and turn bowl over onto a flat surface. Remove the base from the bowl.
- Stir together the butter/oil, spices, Worcestershire, hot sauce and salt. Pour evenly over the popcorn and mix to combine.
- Pour mixture onto the prepared baking sheet. Add the pretzels and mixed nuts and toss to fully coat.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally to combine flavors. Serve immediately.