Recent Posts Subscriptions
- Easy Entertaining with Dinner-Worthy Salads
- Introducing Meat into Your Baby's Diet
- Natural Easter Egg Fun
- 5 Best Greens For Smoothies
January 9, 2013 • Posted by Christina Fong
If you’ve got an overactive sweet tooth, then it’s time to sharpen those baking skills for when those cravings unexpectedly creep up on you. Whether it’s your first time baking or you’re still getting the hang of it beyond the use of store-bought cake mixes, there are a few key tips to remember before jumping into the wonderful world of baking.
1. ALWAYS read the instructions before you begin. This way, you have a better understanding of the ingredients involved, the steps in which you must prepare your ingredients, and the amount of time required.
2. Always MEASURE the ingredients you’ll be using. Especially if it’s your first time baking a recipe, use the exact measurements provided and adjust as needed for future batches. There’s more of a science to baking than there is to cooking.
3. Don’t forget to PREHEAT the oven! Baking with an initially cooler oven will yield undesirable results such as lack of rising, minimal browning, unusual textures and longer bake times.
4. Do NOT overmix the batter. Doing so releases gluten (protein), which will give your baked goods a much tougher texture. Instead, mix until everything is just combined and the flour is longer visible.
5. Let your finished product COOL in the pan/tray for about 10 minutes (possibly longer depending on what you baked) after removing it from the oven. You run the risk of having it fall apart if you remove it any earlier. This is also important for when you want to decorate cakes.
What other basic baking tips do you want to add to our list?