Recent Posts Subscriptions
- 4 Super Foods For Super Health
- 4 Bridal Registry Must-Haves
- Keen On Quinoa
- Turkey Day Recipes For Your Tot
August 2, 2012 • Posted by Jean at Delightful Repast
Hot foods, whether hot off the grill or spicy hot, call for a cooling accent on the summer table. Cucumbers are the natural choice for summer salads, and this one is quick and easy.
Perfect with grilled salmon or lamb, this light salad can also give the palate a reprieve when eating the spicier dishes of Indian, Mexican and other cuisines.
If using thin-skinned English cucumbers, leave the skin on. Thick-skinned cucumbers fresh from the garden can be peeled or not, but those bought at the supermarket have been waxed and must be peeled. Greek or strained yogurt can fill in for the sour cream, if you prefer.
Cucumbers and Cream
Makes 4 servings
2 medium (12 ounces each) cucumbers
1/4 medium red onion, very thinly sliced and rinsed
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh dill
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
1 teaspoon sugar
1/8 teaspoon coarsely-ground black pepper
1/2 cup sour cream
- Peel and halve cucumbers lengthwise. Scrape out the seeds with a teaspoon. Slice 1/8-inch thick. In 1.5-quart bowl, toss sliced cucumbers and onion with salt and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or up to 4 hours. Drain well and pat dry.
- In a 1-quart serving dish, toss cucumbers and onions with dill, vinegar, sugar and pepper. Stir in sour cream. Cover and chill for at least 30 minutes, or up to 2 hours, before serving.