Recent Posts Subscriptions
- Microwaveable Meals for College Students
- A Spicy Twist on Cornbread
- Chesapeake Crab Melt
- Frozen Rum Punch
April 23, 2012 • Posted by Jean at Delightful Repast
A few years ago, when a friend lamented the lack of a good gluten-free pie crust, I accepted the challenge and developed this recipe. I’ve served it to many non-gluten-free people, and they are always surprised to hear it’s not my regular wheat crust. And gluten-free guests need to be reassured that it is indeed gluten-free!
Makes pastry for one 9-inch single-crust pie
1/2 cup sorghum flour
1/2 cup potato starch
1/3 cup tapioca flour
1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 stick (4 ounces) unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes and frozen for 10 minutes
1 tablespoon lemon juice or cider vinegar
Ice water to make 1/2 cup
- With metal blade in place, add sorghum flour, potato starch, tapioca flour, xanthan gum, salt and baking powder to work bowl of food processor. Turn on for three seconds to combine. Add half the frozen butter and process for 10 seconds or until mixture has the consistency of coarse meal. Add remaining butter and pulse for six 1-second pulses, or until the frozen butter is the size of small peas.
- In 1/2-cup measure, combine lemon juice or vinegar and ice water. Pour over all of flour mixture; pulse for six 1-second pulses or just until dough forms large clumps; do not over-process. If needed, add more ice water a tablespoon at a time, mixing with a fork.
- Do not refrigerate dough at this point as with regular all-butter pie crust. Turn dough out onto lightly floured (gluten-free, of course) piece of plastic wrap. Form dough into a round disk, sprinkle lightly with gluten-free flour, top with another piece of plastic wrap and roll out to 12- to 13-inch circle. Remove top piece of plastic wrap. Transfer pastry, plastic-side-up, to glass pie plate that has been sprayed with cooking spray; remove plastic. Crimp the edge in your favorite way, and then pop the pie plate into the freezer for 15 minutes while oven preheats.