- 1/2lb spaghetti squash, halved lengthwise and seeded
- olive oil
- 6 cloves of garlic, minced
- fresh cracked pepper
- sea salt
- 1/2lb hot Italian sausage, casing removed
- 1/2lb ground beef
- 3 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 large sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup chopped green olives
- 1 28oz can of low-sodium crushed tomatoes
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- pinch of sugar
- freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil. Place both halves or squash, cut side on sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Cover with another piece of foil and bake for about 25-30 min, or until soft and tender. Scrape squash lengthwise with fork to resemble spaghetti. Set aside in a heavy pot.
- Heat 2 tbsp. of olive oil. Add onions, and cook until tender, about 5-6 mins. Add garlic. Cook for another couple minutes or until you can really smell the garlic, but not burned. Stir in tomato paste and cook for a minute. Next add sausage and ground beef. Cook until slightly browned, but not cooked thoroughly. Stir in broth and scrap up any bits that may have adhered to the bottom. Add tomatoes, bay leaf, olives, oregano, basil and sugar. Cover and cook for about 20 minutes over medium heat. Remove bay leaf.
- Serve over squash and top with Parmesan cheese.