The other day as the sun crept behind the clouds, I could tell a storm was about to break loose. Most were troubled by this interruption of summer weather; however, I couldn’t help but welcome a night of relaxation. I cozied up onto the couch and flipped through some channels. However, I quickly realized that something was missing: the smell of fresh baked goods to replace the cold air taking over my apartment.
That’s when I remembered. Oh right, I’m trying not to eat those warm, delicious treats I love so. But what if comforting desserts don’t have to come at a nutritional price? Now there’s a novel idea.
The pile of week old bananas sitting in my kitchen came right to mind. They were too brown to eat but too perfectly suited for banana bread to throw away. Something had to be done. A little brainstorming and a trip to the store later, I was busy at work creating my Butter-less Banana Nut Bread—a healthier rendition to one of my all-time favorites.
Butter-less Banana Nut Bread uses applesauce instead of butter and spelt flour instead of white flour to cut out 840 calories, 90 grams of fat, and 242 mg of cholesterol from the entire loaf. The applesauce is crucial to reducing fat levels while keeping the bread nice and moist. The spelt flour adds a rich, nutty flavor to each slice and delivers valuable minerals and vitamins which white flour does not. Though I couldn’t bring myself to ditch the chocolate chips, I guess that’s always an option as well, shall you be so ambitious.
Butter-less Banana Bread
Makes 1 loaf
3 ripe bananas
¾ cup sugar
½ cup cinnamon applesauce
1 tsp baking soda
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 ½ tsp vanilla
2 cups spelt flour
1 cup dark chocolate chips
1 cup chopped walnuts
- Grease a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray and preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mash bananas and sugar in Cuisinart™ Stand Mixer and let sit for 10-15 minutes.
- Next add the eggs and beat until combined, soon followed by the applesauce. Once combined add the baking powder, baking soda, salt, and vanilla and beat well.
- Little by little add the flour. *Make sure not to over-beat, spelt flour needs less than white flour*
- Place walnuts into Collection™ Elite Collection Chopper/Grinder or manually chop into tiny bits, about 1/8 of a fingernail. Stir in walnut bits to mixture.
- Add chocolate chips to mixture and stir until evenly dispersed.
- Bake for 40 minutes, or until golden brown. Let cool, remove from loaf pan, and enjoy!